Friday, March 10, 2017

Time To Exhale!

It never fails, every winter, I add a few pounds. It doesn't matter if I think I am eating less, healthier of watching every that goes into my mouth. The bottom line, I am not nearly as active in the cold months as I am when it warms up.
Sooooo, that means I either avoid the clothes I wear in the summer or I take a deep breath and hold it until the person I know in the supermarket, school or corner store walks out of range. Then I can exhale.
And it is at this point every year, I truly start eating more fruits and vegetables and try to go to sleep at night as quickly as possible before I get that never-ending sweet tooth, which happens every single night. Then I wake up in the morning and feel grotesquely disgusted with myself all day long.
Here are a couple desserts that not only satiate that sweet tooth, but offers far less in the way of fat and calories than that wrapped up dish of leftover chocolate pudding or those tempting chocolate doughnuts you have been nibbling on one at a time.



Blueberry Lemon 'Custard' Pudding


     Just enough for two people, yet if I were you, I would double it because one serving just ain't gonna cut it!

3/4 cup frozen blueberries, thawed
2 eggs
3 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons cornstarch
2 teaspoons lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
Meringue:
1 egg white
1 tablespoon sugar




Place blueberries, with all accumulating juice from thawing(which should be about 3 tablespoons), egg, sugar, cornstarch, lemon juice and zest in a blender or food processor. Puree until as smooth as possible. Strain through a wire sieve into a medium saucepan. Place pan over medium heat and bring to scalding while whisking frequently. You will notice it thickening quite a bit.
Remove and pour into 2 oven safe, individual serving dishes. Cover and refrigerate until completely cooled.
When ready, preheat broiler, making sure the rack is on its lowest shelf.
Beat the egg white until soft peaks form with an electric mixer. Add sugar and continue beating until stiff peaks form. Either dollop, spoon or pipe equal amounts of meringue on top of each pudding cup.
Place under broiler for just a couple minutes, until as browned as desired. Carefully remove and serve immediately.

 


Strawberry Kiwi 'Custard' Pudding


Tangy kiwi, sweet strawberries and a smile!

1/2 cup chopped fresh strawberries
2 kiwis, peeled and chopped
1/2 cup strawberry-kiwi juice *
2 eggs
1 tablespoon sugar
2 teaspoons cornstarch

 
Puree all ingredients until as smooth as possible. Strain through a wire sieve into a medium saucepan. Place mixture over medium heat and bring to a boil, stirring constantly. This will only take a few minute.
Immediately pour into individual serving dishes or 1 large bowl. Cover and refrigerate until set and completely chilled. Enjoy as is or with whipped topping of your choice.

 
* There are various brands of 100% strawberry-kiwi juice on the market today. If you can't find it, then use any type of pure strawberry juice blend.

No comments: